Posted: September 23, 2014
Here is a walk through to help you clean it out using cleaning supplies that are already in your home.
Here is what you will need to clean a fridge:
- Gloves (optional, but we’re sure you’ll want them)
- Garbage Can
- Recycling Container
- Toothbrush or Small Scrubbing
- Eraser Sponge
- Baking Soda
First, you will want to make sure you take everything out of the fridge.
- You do not want to have foods anywhere near your cleaning supplies, so you will want to do this at a time where you can stick your perishable items elsewhere.
- Also, get rid of foods that haven’t been eaten! It’s all too often that food is stuck and the fridge in the back and a science experiment begins!
Next make sure you get rid of any loose food crumbs.
- This is going to save you time and effort later.
Once you have cleared the way, use your Eraser Sponge to wipe down all the surfaces.
- And when we say this, we mean really get in the crevices. Take out the drawers and shelves and wipe them down separately. Don’t forget to use your Eraser Sponge on the walls of the fridge and the outside too; these areas get a lot of traffic as well.
If need be, you can use a small toothbrush to get into the hard to reach places.
It is very likely that in the process of cleaning and wiping down, there will be water that pools. It is best to make sure you get this wiped up as well so as to not encourage any build up.
Once the inside of your fridge is all clean, put your (clean) shelves and drawers back where they belong, and also put in a fresh container of baking soda.
- This will help make your fridge smell better.
Other tips to keep in mind:
- When putting the foods back in their place, wipe down the containers. Jelly can get sticky awfully quick and make it hard to clean up later. It will also help you not get your hands sticky!
- Consider putting down shelf liners on the shelves and drawers. These peel off easily and will help keep everything cleaner for longer.
- On a weekly basis, go through your fridge and get rid of foods you haven’t eaten that are going stale. Do this on garbage night so you don’t get stuck with funky smells.