Posted: March 2, 2015
Basements are notorious for being dark, damp, and sometimes even a little spooky.
But if you clean them up and organize them, you might find they aren’t quite so bad.
Here are some of the things that you will need to clean a basement:
- Sponges- 1 regular sponge & 1 eraser sponge handy
- White Vinegar
- A Soft cloth
- Dish-washing liquid
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Tools like vacuum, broom, dustpan, mop
- Baking soda
- Clay cat litter and pan
Begin cleaning the basement by gathering up your materials and keeping them in one place.
Consider listening to some music while you work.
The first thing you should do is tackle anything that was covered up with dust covers.
Take them outside to get rid of the dust, and then throw them in the washing machine. Wipe down any items that were covered.
Next, wipe down the outside of the furnace and the hot water heater with either sudsy water or equal parts water and vinegar.
- If you want to make sure that all of the dirt and debris are off, however, we suggest using an Eraser Sponge.
Then, mix together a gallon of warm water, a cup of ammonia, and a teaspoon of mild dish soap.
- Put down a drop cloth near one of the walls and clean them using the mixture you just created.
- If you happen to find mold, clean it with hot soapy water. Make sure it is thoroughly dried afterward! Do this to all the walls.
Once you have done that, clean the windows.
- If you don’t wish to use a window cleaner, you can use a mix of 1 pint rubbing alcohol, 2 tablespoons ammonia, and 2 tablespoons of dish soap. Then, wash the windows.
- Rinse them and buff them dry.
Next, move your attention to the floors.
- You can use baking soda on hard floors and carpets. This will neutralize odors.
- Once the area is covered, you can sweep it/vacuum it up, and then throw it out.
While you have your vacuum out, take a moment to gently vacuum the smoke detectors and get rid of any dust that might be on it.
- This layer of dust could affect their sensitivity and how well they work.
To make your floors shine, mop them.
- If you really want to detail clean it, scrub it by hand, starting on the outside of the wall going in toward the center of the room in small, circular patterns.
- This is also an excellent time to use an Eraser Sponge!
What valuable tips have we left out? What do you do in order to clean your basement?